Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Parents forced into USDP in return for polio shots

0 comments
 
Wednesday, 25 August 2010 02:09 Mizzima News

Rangoon (Mizzima) – Parents of children vaccinated against polio in the former Burmese capital have been pressured into joining the main junta-backed political party, they said.
From early this month, local authorities, health department staff and Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) members have run a vaccination programme for children under five at in the offices of township peace and development councils in Rangoon during which parents were coerced into signing forms to join the USDP.

A mother from Tamway Township said: “After my child received the vaccination, they [USDP members] gave me an application form to be a Union Solidarity and Development Party member. I told them I didn’t want to join but they insisted I sign the form so, finally, I had to.”

Moreover, parents from Thingangyun, Mingala Taungnyunt, the southern and eastern parts of New Dagon, Shwepyithar and North Okkapala townships also said they were forced to join the junta-backed party in the same manner.

Also, the peace and development council of ward three in Kyauktada Township had been coercing people to join the USDP, a resident said.

“We already knew what the USDP is because it’s opened party offices and members have been collecting party memberships,” the resident said. “They’re building the party using any possible means but I can’t join it. If I do, they’ll get my vote and I won’t let that happen.”

Rangoon has 45 townships and a population of six million.

Leave a Reply