Monday, October 17, 2011

Released political prisoner gathered information about Depayin Massacre

0 comments
 
Monday, 17 October 2011 16:40 Mizzima News

(Interview) – Burmese writer Hla Soe talks to Mizzima about political prisoners, human rights violations, child soldiers, and his work surrounding the Depayin Massacre.  He was arrested while he was gathering details about the massacre for foreign-based organizations in 2003. Eleven activists were arrested by Military Intelligence, and they were sentenced to between 12 to 27 years in prison. He was released last week after serving eight. Mizzima Reporter Phanida talks with Hla Soe, 58, who is partly paralyzed.

Question: First, tell us about your background.

Answer: I was born in Pegu. In 1972, I moved to Mandalay. I wrote articles, poems and crime fiction under my pennames Maung Oattha (Pegu) and Hla Soe (Mandalay). I’ve written many things. I’ll publish books later. I want to write mainly about democracy and the importance of law and order.

Members of the Union Solidarity Development Association, (the ultra-nationalist precursor organization to the USDP) gather at Kyipaukdauk village near Depayin Township in Sagaing Divison five days prior to the massacre of National League for Democracy supporters on May, 30, 2003. Photo: Mizzima

Q: How did you learn that you would be granted amnesty?

A: At around 1 p.m. on October 11, loud shouts of excitement echoed through the prison wards. All prisoners shouted. All were glad because we heard an amnesty would be granted. The first time, they granted a presidential commutation; at this time an amnesty would be granted. People and the world demand an amnesty. So, we hoped that all would be released. Some political prisoners ate all of their snacks and food. And some gave all of their property in prison to other prisoners. That night, a member of military intelligence informed us that only four people including me would be granted amnesty, so other prisoners were very sad.

Q: You were imprisoned five times. Why?

A: The first time was in 1969 during the “Peninsula Student Unrest.” I don’t know much about it because at that time I was just 14. I just did my senior year, and I was arrested. A football match sparked the unrest. Then chaos broke out. Senior students could not control themselves and destroyed doors. Then all of us were arrested and detained in Taungoo Prison for five months.

The second time I was given a prison sentence after the “Mandalay Boycott” in 1988 when the authorities alleged that we were responsible. So, we filed appeal an appeal, then we were sentenced to three months in prison. Although the sentence was just three months, I was imprisoned for about one year and six months.

The third time, in 1990-91, our National League for Democracy released a booklet to mark the 45th birthday of Aung San Suu Kyi. We released the “Fighting Peacock” booklet Volume (1) No. (2) and we were charged under the Printing Act and detained for six months.

The fourth time, in 1996, we distributed Dr. Gene Sharp’s book inside Burma, and we were arrested for that. Nineteen people were arrested. We were sentenced to seven years in prison.

Q: And the last time, why were you arrested?

A: After I was paralyzed, I was released from Myitkyina Prison in 2001. Then I had an opportunity to be involved in political activities. I got in contact with the National Council of the Union of Burma General-Secretary Maung Maung; the National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma’s Prime Minister, Dr. Sein Win; NCGUB’s representative for UN Affairs, Dr. Thaung Tun; the now deceased Padoh Mahn Sha, the former secretary of the Karen National Union, and I decided that I would take part in their political activities as much as I could. So, I cooperated with them.

At that time, I was paralyzed and had to lie on my back. So the military intelligence officers were not interested in me. As a pro-democracy activity, democratic groups in foreign countries had a plan to carry out activities defying the government. I agreed to carry out the activities inside the country. Under the agreement, I was sent mobile phones and cameras to use in my media activities. We started the activities in 2002. In 2003, our activities were progressing well. We were arrested by intelligence on December 20, 2003. First one of us was arrested and then all of us; 11 activists were arrested.

Q: Which tasks were included in your political activities?

A: During my work, I revealed many cases of child soldier recrutment, forced labour cases, and the dictator’s oppression against the citizens. Then, we revealed information about the Depayin Massacre and religious riots in Kyaukse. At that time, we guessed that the junta was trying to stem nationwide religious riots. So, we tried to reveal their intention to prevent riots from breaking out.

Q: Were people who were arrested at the same time with you released under the amnesty?

A: Among the 11 activists who had to face the same legal case, teacher Chin Lwin Oo died of a stroke in Mandalay Prison in 2006. In the same year, Hnin Pa Pa and her son Aung Naing Thu from Mandalay were released. So, eight activists remained in prison. Yesterday, seven of us including me who were serving 17-year prison terms were released. But, Win Kyi is still in prison. He was sentenced to 22 years in prison. He is still in Mandalay Prison.

Q: What is your opinion of the amnesty?

A: As for me, I don’t want to be optimistic about amnesty. I would like to say that they are just trying to be good because the situation has not been good until now. They should release everyone. Change cannot be brought about just by paying lip service to the idea. They need to put their promises into practice. Only changes can bring national reconciliation. International countries have imposed sanctions against our country. Our people live in grinding poverty. The legal system of the country is weak. Moreover, there are prisoners of conscience. They have political, religious and racial beliefs. With a good moral conscience, they do good things for the people, not for themselves. So, they are called prisoners of conscience. I would like to strongly urge the authorities concerned to release them as soon as possible.

Q: Why do you think all the political prisoners were not released?

A: The government’s tenure is less than one year. And another serious point is that all members of the new government are not of the same mind. I’m not pessimistic. Some of them may not trust democratic groups. Some may believe that they must do what they should do. That’s why they’re reluctant [to release political prisoners], I think. So, I want to urge the government to take a bold step by releasing all prisoners of conscience. To save the country caught in the poverty trap, we all need to promote cooperation.

Q: What is your opinion about the current government?

A: I am a little bit optimistic about the new government. For instance, although we were in prison, we could read newspapers and journals, so we knew about some events in the country. We heard that good events were taking place outside the prison. For instance, when we heard about the meeting between Aung San Suu Kyi and President Thein Sein, I was in the prison at that time, but I was as happy as though I was released from prison because they hd met and tried to seek national reconciliation. So I was glad to hear of the current government’s action.

The second issue is about the Myitsone project. In the prison, we were deeply concerned about the project. When we learned of the work on the Myitsone and the formation of sandbanks in the Irrawaddy River, we felt as though our real mother was chopped up and bleeding. Then we heard the news that President Thein Sein decided to halt the Myitsone project because of the people’s desires and parliament’s questions. Now we have to negotiate with China. I would like to urge our people to be behind the [Burmese] government in order that the government can present our care regarding suspending the Myitsone dam project.

Q: You have spent more than eight years in prison.  How did you feel when you were released?

A: Now, while I am talking with you, I’m consumed with grief because our colleagues are still in prisons. I feel sad. There are 60 political prisoners just in Mandalay Prison. As for me, I have been arrested five times for my political activities since I was 14 years old. Every time I was released, I wasn’t fully happy because our colleagues were still in prison.

Q: How are health conditions for political prisoners?

A: Some political prisoners who should be released are still in prison. The elderly and unhealthy political prisoners are still in prisons. In our Mandalay Prison, Minkon Monastery Abbot U Zanita from Kyaukse is imprisoned. He was sentenced to 27 years in prison for alleged involvement in the Kyaukse religious riot in 2003. In fact, he was not connected with it.

He just tried to handle the chaotic situation in accord with the relevant authorities’ appeals. He is 66 and has suffered a serious heart attack. So, he is sent to a hospital every month. So, those kinds of people should be released. Another one is 88-generation student Hla Myo Naung. As you know, he has been imprisoned frequently, so his eye condition is not good and he also has pain in his lower back. He seems very weak. People like them should be released.

Q: What are your political beliefs now?

A: Law and order has not been put in practice since our childhood. My political posture is to work for the prevalence of law and order. If my ambition is not achieved in this life, I’ll do it in my next life. That’s my desire. Now, I’m not in good health. Now, I’m sitting to talk you. Despite my poor health condition, I’ll am determined.

Q: What do you think should be the first priority?

A: We must hold an all-inclusive dialogue, especially including Aung San Suu Kyi, President Thein Sein and ethnic armed groups, in regard to national reconciliation. That is a must-do. Otherwise, it’ll take too much time to achieve the prevalence of law and order and democratic principles in our country.

Q: Did you hear about the armed conflicts between the government and ethnic armed groups when you were in prison?

A: Yes. Especially, when we read the private journals.

Q: Please tell me about you current health condition.

A: I have suffered a stroke in which the right part of body cannot move well. But, now I can walk with crutches. And my hands can move now. But, my [right] leg cannot move well. Every time I get hypertension, my situation becomes worse.

Q: What would you like to tell exile organizations?

A: They have done work for more than two decades. They may want to return home. But the president’s invitation to them is not enough. The activists in foreign countries have their own belief and dignity. So, I want the government to make a systematic law and issue a notification to invite them to return. They have not returned because the conditions have not met their expectations. The government needs to give them guarantees. The government needs to let them do politics freely. They have done work in foreign countries and the government needs to recognize them.

Q: What else would you like to say?

A: In our country, we have suffered unfair business relationship with other countries for two decades. Especially in big projects. I want those projects to be aimed to benefit citizens of both countries. Especially, regarding Chinese companies, some projects are unfair to us. In Mandalay, many Burmese people had to move outside the city. [Chinese people] have resettled in downtown Mandalay; some entered the city in a fair way but some entered in unfair ways. Some projects may be beyond redemption. We need to be careful to prevent similar events from happening again. We need to create a country based on law and order.

Leave a Reply