Saturday, January 14, 2012

No grudge against anyone: Khin Nyunt

0 comments
 

Friday, 13 January 2012 19:40 Mizzima News

(Mizzima) – Former General Khin Nyunt, who was among the prisoners released on Friday, has spoken to reporters outside his home in Rangoon. Khin Nyunt, who contested for power with former junta chief Snr-Gen Than Shwe, said he had no plans to re-enter politics, and he supports the work of Aung San Suu Kyi.

“In the journals, I see President Thein Sein and Aung San Suu Kyi are working together, and I am very happy to see like that,” he said. “It is good for our country.”

Peace is also good for the country, he said, and he wished success to people who are working for peace.

“I believe in the people who are assigned this work,” he said. “The other side also wants peace too so if both sides reconcile…I think it will be successful.”

He said his son was a battalion commander when he was arrested. “Both me and my son were trained by the armed forces,” he said, so they have got discipline and they are committed to working for the country.

“We shall do everything which will be beneficial for our country and our people, but we won’t do politics,” he said.

He said he had no grudge against anyone. “I am doing religious work only. According to our religious teachings, everything is determined by our fate, everything must be in the cycle of being and nothingness. I understand this dhamma (rule). I feel I am lucky to be able to do religious work, and  I will live peacefully with my family,” he said.

He said he lived most of the time in his home in Rangoon under house arrest. “I was taken to Insein for the first time in July 2005 and I was tried there. That’s all. The rest of the time during my imprisonment, I lived here peacefully without any trouble and harassment. I could live peacefully with the security agencies assigned to my security at my house,” he said. He said he had not met anyone since his release.

“I shall speak through the media only when I have something to say for the country,” he said, adding that he hoped the media gets more freedom and plays an important role in the country.

Leave a Reply